This is a very special little song. I learned it when I was just a little tot and love it as much now as then. The word Bible literally means “a book” and is often called “the book” my many people. It is the most important book in the world. When we look into its pages we find a wonderful testimony about its contents. It is also called scripture which means “writings.” "And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works." 2 Timothy 3:15-17. There are many things we learn about the Bible from this one short passage. Notice: Here are a dozen great things we learn about the Bible:
1. It is holy. The Bible is “set aside by God as His.”
2. It can bring us salvation. From sin and death and hell.
3. It does this by giving us faith. Faith is the confidence God has spoken. See, Romans 10:17
4. It tells us of Christ Jesus: God's “anointed Savior.” Christ = Anointed one; Jesus = Savior.
5. It is given to us by none other than God himself. We need not fear His truth.
6. It is inspired. Which means it is the very “breath of God.”
7. It is profitable. It brings increase to life and everything in it.
8. It is doctrine. Which means “teachings.” We need not wonder what God would have us know.
9. It brings reproof. Which means “evidence we can believe.” It is convicting and convincing!
10. It can correct our actions. It helps “straighten us out” when we falter or fail.
11. It is good instruction. It helps us learn in mind and in morals.
12. It makes us perfect. Which means it helps us “reach the goals for which God made us.”
I call that a “delightful dozen” and guarantee it is sweeter than Krispie Kreme. More can be said of the Bible. The following are a few of the descriptive names for the Word of God taken mostly from Psalms 19 and 119 and is not exhaustive. It is the Law of God, the Testimony of God, the Word of God, the Statues of God, the Judgments of God, the Commandments of God, the Truth of God, the Fear of God, the Way of God, the Faithfulness of God, the Precepts of God, the Surety of God, and the Revelation of God. What a treasure we have. We can hold it in our hands, read it with our eyes, learn it with our minds, believe it with our hearts, walk in it with our feet, and trust it with our lives. It can make us cry, laugh, shout, quietly trust, speak, or be silent, hedge us in, set us free, bind us up, comfort us, enliven us, strengthen us, heal us or condemn us. Rejoice with me in this great book. O Magnify the LORD with me!